A gym membership can be more than just about exercising. It’s all about taking care of yourself and allowing for’me time’.
LA Fitness is a more advanced gym than just a few machines and weights.
LA Fitness looks great from the outside. But is it worth it? This review will go into more detail.
What is LA Fitness?
LA Fitness is a chain of gyms with 600+ clubs throughout the United States. LA Fitness is more than just a gym. It offers members many activities at a low monthly fee. LA Fitness is known for its warm and friendly atmosphere, welcoming community, and activities that suit all ages and lifestyles.
Is LA Fitness worth the investment?
What are they good at?
You must understand what LA Fitness offers to determine whether a membership is worth the cost. Although each location is different, the general consensus is that you will find:
- 20+ Group Classes available throughout the week, with morning, afternoon and evening classes
- Cardio equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, spin bikes and rowing machines).
- Resistance training machines
- Weights and dumbbells are free
- Squat racks
- Equipment for cross-training
- Basketball courts
- Racquetball courts
- Lap pools
- Personal trainers
- Kids Klub
Let’s take a closer look at the best amenities.
LA Fitness offers a wide range of classes for those who don’t enjoy exercising alone, or aren’t motivated enough to walk on a treadmill. You will find a good selection of classes regardless of where you live and COVID restrictions.
Cardio Jam, Aqua Fit, Hip Hop, and Cycling are just some of the classes that you might find at your LA Fitness.
Many LA Fitness locations offer lap swimming and group classes. Your location may have steam rooms and hot tubs to relax after a hard day.
LA Fitness locker rooms offer full-size lockers and plenty of showers. There is also a dry sauna. You must bring your own lock and locks are only for day use. Clubs may offer amenities like towels and soaps, while others have hair dryers.
LA Fitness has an area where you can stretch and do bodyweight exercises. Large mats with open areas for stretching are available, as well as stability balls and medicine balls.
After joining LA Fitness, all members receive a complimentary personal training assessment. You can also sign up for personal training sessions to get one-on one guidance.
LA Fitness offers full-length basketball courts free of charge. You can also play volleyball in the area. If you are looking for something more structured, some clubs offer league play.
LA Fitness Membership Overview – What’s the Price?
Cost is the biggest hurdle to any gym membership. LA Fitness charges a monthly membership fee like all gyms. However, many clubs and memberships also require an initiation fee. It will be easier to make a decision once you know the total cost.
Although prices vary by location, you can expect to pay the average price for the following:
- LA Fitness Single Club Membership: $0 induction fee, $33.99/month
- LA Fitness Multi Club Membership: $49 Initiation Fee and $33.99/Month
- LA Fitness Signature Club Single Club membership – $0 initiation charge and $39.99/month
- LA Fitness Signature Club Multiclub Membership – $49 Initiation Fee and $39.99/month
- Esporta Fitness Single club Membership – $99 induction fee and $9.99/month
- Esporta Fitness Multiclub Membership – $0 in initiation and $24.99 per month
What is the LA Fitness Score?
There are many other gym chains than LA Fitness in most places. But how do they compare?
LA Fitness vs Planet Fitness
You may want to look at the options if you don’t have Planet Fitness. Planet Fitness is cheaper at $10 per month, but there are tradeoffs.
- Planet Fitness locations may have a 12-month commitment with early termination penalties for cancellations. LA Fitness is a month to-month agreement and requires a 5-day notice prior to your next billing date.
- Planet Fitness multi-club passes are $21.99 per month. However, you can visit any Planet Fitness location.
- Planet Fitness charges $39 per year and some locations also charge an initiation fee.
- Planet Fitness offers mainly cardio and strength training. A 30-minute circuit for resistance training is also available. There are no free weights, sauna, pool or basketball courts, as LA Fitness does.
LA Fitness vs Lifetime Fitness
LA Fitness and Lifetime Fitness have similar amenities and equipment. Planet Fitness is an excellent gym for cardio enthusiasts who don’t need weight training or classes.
Lifetime Fitness offers the same equipment and classes as LA Fitness, but LA Fitness does have some key differences.
- There are indoor and outdoor pools, with leisure and lap pools. For outdoor swimming, some clubs may charge an annual membership fee.
- Organised sports teams. Although the type and frequency of these teams will vary depending on where they are located, it may include pickleball, tennis, and rock climbing.
- Events for adults only, such as marathons, dance parties and cycle jams.
- Kids studio classes and training, as well as organized sports and activities for children.
- Events for children include Parents Night Out, dance parties and pool parties.
- Opportunities for personal and sport training
- Salon and spa with full-service for hair, nails, and skin treatments
- Café and poolside service offering healthy and delicious food
- Lab testing and health assessments to evaluate your overall health.
These amenities are more expensive than LA Fitness, but they come at a higher price. Although each location may have a different pricing structure, the average cost is:
- Standard club access and digital app memberships starting at $99/mo
- $169+/mo standard club access plus group and training, priority reservations for classes, and baby care
- Young adults 26 years and younger pay $89+/month for single-club membership and digital app membership
- Students: $89+/mo, single-club membership and digital app membership
Common LA Fitness Complaints
LA Fitness is a great option for members. However, when they want to cancel, they start complaining.
There are hundreds of complaints to the Better Business Bureau from COVID members who tried to cancel their memberships due to the lockdown or not being able to go back to the gym when it opened again.
LA Fitness did not handle cancellations in the way that most members expected, especially during such a difficult time. It led to thousands of complaints and even a few lawsuits.
LA Fitness has remediated the situation but it doesn’t make it any easier for you to cancel your membership.
LA Fitness Membership FAQ
How can you cancel a LA Fitness membership?
LA Fitness memberships can be cancelled at any time. However, they don’t have the best track record of following up.
There are two ways to cancel your membership
Get a Cancellation form
Log in to your app and click “cancellation form” under “account information”.
– Print the form
Send it to:
PO Box 54170
Irvine, CA 92619
– Contact customer service within a week to confirm that they have received your request
Fill out the form and bring it to your LA Fitness
Download the exact same form as above
– Take it to your LA Fitness and give it to the operations manager between 9AM and 5PM
Can you freeze a LA Fitness membership?
Temporarily stopping your membership is possible for $10 per month. Your account can be unfroze at any time. There are no initiation fees, or any other dues that you have to pay other than the monthly membership fee.
Is LA Fitness charging an annual fee?
LA Fitness does not charge an annual fee. Although some locations or memberships may charge an initiation fee for a membership, this is only a one-time cost. This fee is in addition to your monthly dues, but you only pay it once and that’s it.
How can you avoid paying an initiation fee at certain LA Fitness locations?
LA Fitness is like most businesses, it will negotiate. However, many people don’t know this. It is best to visit your nearest gym and ask for a free trial. Talk to the manager to waive the initiation fee after the trial. They may be able to work with you to make sure you don’t sign up if you have the fee.
Is LA Fitness worth it?
What is LA Fitness worth?
It all depends on your goals for a gym. It’s worth it if you do more than just walk on a treadmill or lift some weights.
The higher fees won’t be worth it if you don’t plan to use the spa, pool, basketball courts or take part in group classes. It’s better to stream your workouts from home, or join a gym that provides only the essentials.
Even though it may seem difficult, I like the fact that you can cancel your LA Fitness Membership at any time. You can cancel your membership with enough follow-through and still enjoy all that LA Fitness has to offer.