Many people will discover that changing their diet and lifestyle can be a result of taking new medications. Johns Hopkins Medicine defines food-drug interactions as situations where a specific nutrient found in dietary supplements changes how your body processes the medication. This could increase or decrease how much medication your body gets. Side effects can cause serious health problems or the drug may not work as it was intended.
Talk to your pharmacist before prescribing a medication.
Anastrozole is the generic name for Arimidex. It belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors. It is used to treat early hormone receptor-positive, metastatic breast cancer. It is also used to treat hormone receptor-positive, hormone unknown advanced or metastatic breast carcinoma.
Anastrozole can also be used to treat advanced breast cancer. This medicine can only be used by women who have stopped having their menstrual cycles (postmenopausal).
Estrogen can cause breast cancer tumours to grow. As a result, the body produces less estrogen. This decreases the estrogen levels in tumors, which can limit their growth.
How do you take Anastrozole best?
Follow all instructions on your prescription label. All medication guides and instructions sheets should be read. Follow all instructions.
Anastrozole (Arimidex), is usually taken once daily. Follow your doctor’s directions. Anastrozole is available with or without food. You may need to take this medication for up to 5 years. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
What happens if I miss a dose of Anastrozole?
If you are not able to take medication, do not take it. You should not take more than one medication at a time.
What do I do if Anastrozole (Arimidex), is too high?
If you require immediate medical attention, call the Poison Help Line at 1-800-222-1222.
Avoiding foods while taking Anastrozole.
Anastrozole’s effectiveness has been decreased by eating the following foods: Anastrozole can increase estrogen. These foods should be avoided or minimized during treatment with Anastrozole.
- Alcohol: It is best to avoid drinking alcohol while taking Anastrozole for breast cancer. Drinking alcohol can increase Anastrozole side effects such as joint pain and hot flashes.
- Beef Studies show that eating processed or red meats can raise estrogen levels. Anastrozole’s effectiveness could be improved by limiting the intake of these foods.
- German-chamomile and chamomile tea may be similar to estrogens in the body. Exercising for a prolonged period can increase the effects of chamomile in hormone-sensitive conditions like breast cancer, ovarian carcinoma and endometriosis.
- Corn oil: Including corn oil into your diet can raise cholesterol, estrogen, progesterone, and estradiol. You should avoid eating corn oil while taking Anastrozole.
- Anastrozole should be avoided while you are taking grapefruit and grapefruit juice. Animal research has shown that grapes may have an aromatase inhibitory effect. This could reduce estrogen synthesis and increase androgen precursors.
- Smoked meats and fish: Carcinogenic chemicals like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (Pyrocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) have been linked with high-temperature meats, such as grilled and barbecued.
- Lemons and limes: Citrus fruits contain high levels of plant estrogens, called Isoflavones. These estrogens can alter estrogen levels and Anastrozole’s effectiveness (Arimidex ).
- Safflower Oil: These fats are essential for memory and hormone regulation. They can alter hormonal balance so it is best not to consume them while you take Anastrozole (Arimidex span>).
- Anastrozole should be used with caution when consuming soybean products, such as soybean protein isolate, soybean paste, and soybean oil. The uniqueness of soybean is the high levels of phytoestrogens, a type of plant estrogen that is similar to human estrogen but with much lower effects. Soy estrogen receptors can attach to soybean isoflavones, causing weak estrogenic and anti-estrogenic activities.
- Sunflower oils Sesame and sunflower seeds high in estrogen can lead to side effects.